PALM SPRINGS SHORT-TERM RENTALS
PON GUIDE TO NEIGHBOR RIGHTS
All Vacation rental owners claim that “it’s the other owners’ rentals causing the problems”, that they don’t get complaints, that they are a part of the community, and that their neighbors approve of their vacation rental.
Well, they ALL can’t be right!
Call the HOTLINE# first: (760) 322-8383
Summary of VR Ordinance No. 1918, effective April 16, 2017:
- 36 rental contracts per year (4 must be used July-Sept)
- (Plus) unlimited use for five named persons and their guests w/o owner present.
- Multiple STRs by same permit holder “grandfathered” until property sold.
- City will be first responder (instead of owner/agent) to hotline calls
- One parked car allowed per bedroom.
- Houses in areas zoned less that 15,000’ (R1-C, R1-D) can rent up to 6 bedrooms, 2 guests per person + 2 children 12 years of age or younger plus an additional 4 daytime guests. Maximum 16 daytime. Maximum 12 overnight. (updated 3/16/17)
- Houses in areas zoned over 15,000’ (R1-A, R1-B, R1-AH) can rent up to 6 bedrooms, 2 guests per bedroom + 2 children, 12 years of age or younger plus an additional 4 daytime guests.
- Three (3) verified violations within one year will result in STR permit suspended for 2 years.
Reportable Violations (partial list):
- Excessive number of parked cars in front of home
- Excessive noise including music from inside home
- Outside music (or any amplification) at any time of day/night
- Trash not tended to
- Illegal number of guests during daytime or overnight
- House being rented while on suspended permit
- House being rented that is not a registered STR, and without owner on premises
STR Addresses by Neighborhood, # Bedrooms: http://protectourneighborhoods.net/strs-by-neighborhood/
Important Phone Numbers:
If possible, have the address of the rental property available. You may request an enforcement officer enter your yard to determine the extent of the nuisance. You are not required to contact a property owner or rental agency. Doing so means your complaint will not be logged with the city. And, do not put yourself in harms way. Call the Hotline.
- Complaint Hotline#: (760) 322-8383 For any/all disturbance 7 days, 24 hrs.
- Police non-emergency: (760) 327-1441
Weekly/Monthly Hotline Reports: http://www.palmsprings-ca.gov/government/departments/vacation-rentals/vacation-rental-department-reports/weekly-hotline-reports
Suspended Permits: What that actually means.
- When a Vacation Rental is suspended, it is not allowed to be a short-term rental. Legal action may be taken by the City against a homeowner who is in violation of a suspension.
Vacation Rental Property Suspension Log: http://protectourneighborhoods.net/suspension-log/
Decibel Recording App: Decibel 10 app: http://scienceapps.blogspot.com/2012/02/decibel-10.html
Complete VR Ordinance No. 1918: http://www.palmsprings-ca.gov/home/showdocument?id=50286